Who May Perform Ceremonies

Marriage may be solemnized by any of the following who is of the age of 18 years or older:

  • A priest, minister, rabbi or authorized person of any religious denomination.
  • A judge or retired judge, commissioner or retired commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record in this state.
  • A judge or magistrate state who has resigned from office.
  • A justice or retired justice of the United States Supreme Court.
  • A judge or retired judge of a court of appeals, a district court, or a court created by an act of Congress the judges of which are entitled to hold office during good behavior.
  • A judge or retired judge of a bankruptcy court or a tax court.
  • A United States magistrate or retired magistrate.
  • A legislator or constitutional officer of this state or a member of Congress who represents a district within this state, while the person holds office.
  • Commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages. For each county, the county clerk is designated as commissioner of civil marriages.
  • Deputy marriage commissioner for the day is available from the county clerk to individuals to have the legal right to marry a specific couple on a specific day, see Commissioner for a Day to learn more.

A list of civil marriages commissioners that perform ceremonies outside of the Clerk/Recorder Office is available upon request via web submission.