Who May Solemnize (Perform) Marriages

Marriage may be solemnized by any of the following who is of the age of 18 years or older:

  • A priest, minister, rabbi or authorized person of any religious denomination.
  • A judge or retired judge, commissioner or retired commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record in this state.
  • A judge or magistrate state who has resigned from office.
  • A justice or retired justice of the United States Supreme Court.
  • A judge or retired judge of a court of appeals, a district court, or a court created by an act of Congress the judges of which are entitled to hold office during good behavior.
  • A judge or retired judge of a bankruptcy court or a tax court.
  • A United States magistrate or retired magistrate.
  • A legislator or constitutional officer of this state or a member of Congress who represents a district within this state, while the person holds office.
  • Commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages. For each county, the county clerk is designated as commissioner of civil marriages.
  • Deputy marriage commissioner for the day is available from the county clerk to individuals to have the legal right to marry a specific couple on a specific day.

A list of civil marriages commissions that perform ceremonies outside of the Clerk/Recorder Office is available upon request via web submission – please click here "Yolo County web submission"

Commissioner of Civil Marriages for a Day

Family Code, Section 401(a), designates the county clerk as the commissioner of civil marriages for the county. This commissioner may appoint deputy commissioners of civil marriages.

Using this authority, the Yolo County Clerk has authorized a program to allow an individual to be a "Commissioner of Civil Marriages for the Day". Due to the significant responsibilities associated with this, an individual who chooses to participate in this program must appear in person in the Clerk/Recorder's office to review and receive materials identifying their responsibilities and to take the Oath of Commissioner of Civil Marriages for a Day. The oath is valid on the day of the ceremony only.

According to guidelines established by the Yolo County Clerk, the individual requesting to be sworn in as a marriage commissioner for a day must:

  • Identify the county the marriage will be performed in
  • Identify the date of the marriage
  • Provide the full names of the persons to be married
  • Read and sign the oath
  • Pay the $109 fee

Accepted Payment Type: cash, check, money order or credit card

At request; the Clerk/Recorder's Office offers wedding ceremonies performed in languages of English, Spanish & Tagalog