Out of Hospital Birth Registration

You can register a child that was born outside of a licensed hospital birthing facility within one year of the birth date at your local County Vital Records office. To register a child that was born in Yolo County, but outside of a licensed birthing facility, you need to contact the Yolo County Vital Records at (530) 666-8680.

You will be informed of the required documentation needed to register an out-of-hospital birth; we will send you a packet with a worksheet to be filled out. Once you have completed the worksheet and have all required documents, call the Vital Records Office to schedule an appointment for registration of the child’s birth.

Yolo County’s policy requires that the parents (not the midwives) contact the Vital Records Office to obtain information on registering an out-of-hospital birth.

For physician or licensed midwife attended deliveries, the requirements are slightly different. Please inform us at the time you make the appointment if the birth was attended by a physician or licensed midwife. For physicians or licensed midwives, there are different options that are available for registering the birth of the child.

We register out-of-hospital births by appointment only. Please call (530) 666-8680 to schedule an appointment. We need for you to be present with the child and have the required documentation at the time of registration. Documentation you need will include, but may not be limited to:

  • Proof of Identity with photo (California drivers license or California ID Card)
  • Proof of Pregnancy (certification from a physician or licensed nurse-midwife)
  • Proof of Birthplace (utility bill showing name of parent, with home address for the month of birth)
  • Attendant (witness to the birth, government issued photo identification required)
  • Child must be present with mother during appointment
  • Other Documentation may be Required

After one calendar year from the birth date, the birth must be registered with the State of California Office of Vital Records, or through the courts.